Double Wall Tent
The double wall waterproof easy-to-build camping tent is divided into two layers of inner and outer fabrics. It is more waterproof than a single-layer tent, and the inner layer of ventilation mesh windows has the effect of repelling mosquitoes. There are even some double-decker tents with an extra front foyer that provides more space for relaxation.
Cold-resistant mountaineering professional tent geodesic high altitude wind and snow three-layer fabric tunnel tent$546.00
Three-link luxury tunnel tent with silver coated Oxford cloth double decker family camping big tent
Two rooms and one living room luxury tunnel camping big tent driving travel double layer Oxford cloth cabin tent$660.00
Team Luxury One-Bedroom Three-Rod Tunnel Tent Waterproof Oxford Cloth Cabin Camping Tent$910.00
Family Double Layer Three Seasons Camping Tent Portable Tunnel Geodesic Polyester Rainproof Tent$210.00
Outdoor Double Wall Silver Painted Oxford Cloth Camping Tunnel Tent Cabin Family Tent$168.00
Polyester-cotton camping cabin tent house outdoor light luxury large space double decker top tunnel tent$790.00
Outdoor three-bedroom one-hall dome double decker light luxury camping tent family group tunnel large space cabin tent$89.00 – $910.00
Four Seasons Double Canopy Tunnel Tent Lightweight Mountaineering Camping Geodesic Backpack Polyester Tent$195.00
Pyramid spire Oxford camping tent four seasons canopy version black tower double wall tent$210.00
Large two-room one-hall thickened rain-proof luxury vinyl bell tent Instant pop up Oxford polyester double-layer family tent$428.00 – $468.00
Portable Instant popup retractable double decker tent Oxford cloth one-room one-hall house-shaped contrast color tent$486.00
Two rooms and one living room light luxury tent double canopy vinyl coated polyester oxford Family cabin Large tent$420.00
Multi-person light luxury tent house retro look team polyester Oxford double wall camping Large tent$468.00
Outdoor multi-person tent simple automatic popup Instant Dome tent rainstorm professional nylon camping backpack tent with top cloth$138.00 – $158.00
Four Corners Team Instant Fully Automatic Pop-Up Folding Dome Tent Rain-Proof Oxford cloth Camping Big Tent Family$106.00 – $126.00
Learn more about high-quality double-wall tents
The Best 4-Season Double Layer Tents of 2022
What is a double wall camping tent?
As its name suggests, the double-wall tent is constructed of two layers of fabric. Usually divided into tent support, inner fabric and outer fabric. The inner tent is made of insect net or breathable fabric, which has super breathability but poor waterproof effect. It can achieve very good air circulation and reduce frost. The outer tent is super waterproof but has low air permeability, which can well block rain and heavy snow from the outside of the tent. The double canopy tent formed by combining the two can be waterproof and rainproof while ensuring breathability.
A certain distance is reserved between the inner and outer layers, and this structural design allows moisture to pass through the inner tent and condense on the outer tent. It ensures the dryness of the inner space. There are zipper switches on the inner and outer layers of the double decker tent, which you can open and close freely for easy entry and ventilation.
single wall(single layer tent) vs double wall(Double layer) tent.
You need to choose the right tent based on the weather you are camping, your personal preferences and the weight you can tolerate. If you need to meet complex weather conditions and high-quality camping, it is recommended to choose double wall tents. Below we’ll take a look at factors such as ease of construction, comfort, weight, weather resistance, and cost of single-wall and double walled tents to introduce you to the differences between them.
Single canopy tents are tents made of a single layer of fabric. Different fabric types have their own unique advantages, but at the same time there are disadvantages. Such as: breathable can not be very waterproof. Coatings and unique synthetic woven materials make up the shortfall in the production of modern single-decker tents.
Advantages of single wall tents:
- Lightweight: The weight is less than the double-wall tents of the same type and size. Easy to carry and store;
- Ease of construction: It is easier and more convenient to set up a camp;
- Affordable: Since it uses less fabric. The cost and time used in manufacturing are lower, and the price is not too high;
- Fast drying: Single-wall tents of the same fabric type dry in less time after you wash the tent;
Disadvantages of Single Wall Tent:
- Condensation: When the temperature difference between indoor and outdoor is large, the condensation generated will wet your equipment and sleeping bag and affect your rest;
- Firmness: in extreme weather conditions, single-wall tents are not as secure as double-wall tents;
- More compact: for portability, the size of single-layer tents is usually smaller;
- Environmental resilience: Camping with single-wall tents is more susceptible to weather conditions and the surrounding environment than double-wall tents. If it is cold in cold weather, it is easier for the cold to penetrate the tent;
- Limited Use: Single deck tents are suitable for use in dry climates and cool weather. It is not recommended that you use a single-wall tent if it is rainy, humid or hot;
Advantages of double wall tents:
- Comfort: The gap between the inner and outer layers of the double-wall tent can better keep the inside of the tent dry. improve our sleeping comfort;
- Easy access: the inner and outer layers of double canopyl tents usually have multiple doors and windows to facilitate entry and exit and to isolate mosquitoes;
- More space: Double decker tents generally have a larger footprint and you have more room to rest. Additional vestibule or flap design. These user-friendly designs will provide more storage space;
- Sturdy: The structure of most double layer tents is free-standing, which is easy to set up and move. And provide stronger support effect, with rain rope can keep your tent stable in strong wind;
- Strong Weather Resistance: The double wall tent can accompany you to outdoor camping in any season. The inner and outer layers can be used alone or in combination. The outer layer can be opened or unloaded in hot weather, and you can enjoy fresher air. Combining inner and outer layers in winter or rain can keep you warm and prevent condensation;
- Good Views: Double deck tents have large sheer meshes on the inner layers. Provides you with an open field of vision while preventing mosquitoes. It is such a pleasant thing to accompany you to sleep in the starry sky;
Disadvantages of double wall tents:
- Heavier: More fabric and stronger support poles add to the overall weight of the double walled tent. It’s not that easy to store and transport, which means you need more space to store it;
- Complicated to build: Double deck camping tents have an extra layer of fabric than single-wall tents, so more steps need to be performed during assembly;
- Longer set-up time: It took us longer to put together the complex connection system of the double decker tents. It takes time to assemble the pole, secure the tent, and place the reinforced rain rope;
- More expensive: same type and size. Double-wall tents usually cost more than single-wall tents;
- Slower drying: Double canopy tents get completely soaked if in heavy rain. It takes more time to dry due to its lot of fabric. Storage after complete drying will reduce the generation of odor and mold;
Comparison of features of single layer tent and Double layer tent.
|Features of Single Wall Tent|
|Easy setup||Poor condensation resistance|
|Preferential||Limited ability to withstand severe weather|
|Faster drying||Water resistance is not as strong as double wall tents|
|Fewer accessories||limited use|
|Features of Double Wall Tent|
|High resistance to condensation||Heavier|
|Comfortable||Build more complex|
|Bigger space||Longer assembly and storage time|
|Strong weatherability||More expensive|
|Safe and firm||Drying slower|
Should I choose a single or double canopy tent?
After understanding the difference between single-layer tents and double-layer tents. How do we choose the tent that suits us? Campmors will give some advice based on our previous outdoor camping experience:
- Single-level tents are a favorite for backpackers who like to travel light. Especially suitable for mountain climbing, hiking, backpacking and hikers. The light weight suits them for high-load exercise.
- Single wall tents are suitable for use in dry and cool weather. In a good weather, we don’t have to worry about the heavy rain ruining the journey. Ordinary tarpaulin single-layer tents can also protect us from light rain and are easy to carry.
- Double-layer tents are suitable for adventure travelers such as traveling by car, climbing over snow-capped mountains and passing through natural forests.
- Double wall tents are suitable for those who are camping in wet conditions and bad weather. It can provide good shelter.
Our research on 100 users and our own past experience suggest that we should try to choose double decker camping tents in the acceptable range. Single-wall tents offer less sleeping comfort, while double-wall tents are far, far better. You must keep the ventilation of the single-decker tent at all times or even sleeping alone will produce a lot of condensation and affect your rest.
And, even if we read the weather forecast ahead of time. But the clouds are always changing, and no one is sure if it will suddenly rain at some point. The water resistance of a single-layer tent is limited, even if it is made of waterproof fabrics. The same type of single-layer tents are always not as good as Double deck tents in terms of weather resistance and inclement weather.
What kind of fabrics do double-decker tents generally have?
Many different fabrics are used in the production of modern double-layer tents. Different fabrics offer different advantageous characteristics. Such as:
- Cotton canvas,
- Oxford cloth,
- Polyester polyester cloth,
- Nylon fabric,
- Composite materials,
- B3/4 mesh,
Cotton canvas: Is a fabric material based on natural materials, which is more environmentally friendly and sustainable. No chemical odors whatsoever. It has wear-resistant material properties. Excellent insulation guarantees breathability while protecting against rain. Cotton is the most durable material of all tent fabrics, is more UV resistant and lasts longer. Suitable for all outdoor camping activities.
Oxford cloth: Is the most durable and comprehensive performance fabric of synthetic materials. Its waterproof ability is better than nylon cloth, and its weather resistance is better than polyester fabric. And by adding different coatings, the functionality of Oxford cloth can be improved in a targeted manner. It is the new star of the current outdoor camping tent. For more information on Oxford cloth tents, please click to view our Oxford tents page.
Nylon cloth: Is the lightest of all materials. But don’t look at it’s light weight, the tear resistance is very strong. However, it has high water absorption, and prolonged exposure to heavy rain will cause the fabric to expand and bend, resulting in water seepage. Often used for backpacking in good weather.
Polyester cloth: The material properties of polyester polyester fabric are similar to nylon fabric, but its fabric stability is stronger and not easily affected by moisture. And it is much heavier than nylon cloth. For detailed information on nylon tents and polyester tents, please refer to our relevant pages.
Other composite materials: According to the different textile materials and additives, there are also certain differences in the quality and function of the tent. Generally synthetic tents are less expensive and more resistant to mold than natural fabric tents. But it is more susceptible to UV rays and will slowly deteriorate after prolonged exposure to the sun.
B3/4 mesh: It is a high-density mesh fabric. Small and high-density holes allow cool outdoor winds to blow into the tent while keeping mosquitoes out. It is often used on the doors and windows of the inner fabric of the double-layer tent. Provides good ventilation and visibility when the outer fabric is stowed. B3 or B4 represents the mesh type. Usually the mesh used in double-layer tents is B3 type. Some high-quality luxury tents also use B4 mesh.
Two or three kinds of fabrics are combined in the best double wall tent making process. The tent double layer formed have different product advantages.
What are the types of double layer tents?
There are many types of double-decker camping tents, and they are grouped differently according to different classification methods. The following are grouped according to shape, structure and fabric.
Shape type: dome double-decker tent, A tower spire tent, wall double canopy tent, bell double-decker tent, double layer tunnel tent, cabin double-decker tent (Cabin Tent);
Structure type: double decker pop up tent, geodesic or semi-geometric double-layer tent, independent double skin tent, connecting pole double-layer tent, polygonal pole tent;
Fabric type: Oxford cloth double-wall tent, double canopy nylon/polyester cloth tent, double-layer canvas tent and composite fabric double decker tent.
How to choose a double decker tent that suits you?
Before shopping for your outdoor high quality double layer camping tent. You need to combine your needs and application scenarios into consideration. So that the double-decker tents you paid for can be a convenience rather than a burden. Campmors summarizes the following considerations to help you make the right choice:
The size of the double wall tent – how many people use it together? Do backpacks and other gear need to be placed inside the tent? At the very least you want to make sure that everyone and accompanying items are sheltered in the tent. Meanwhile, if you want to have more room to move around while you sleep. You need to choose a larger double-decker tent.
The weight of a double deck tent – how did your trip go? Hiking, biking or driving a car? If you are backpacking or traveling by bicycle, it is recommended to choose a lightweight portable double-layer tent. And if you are traveling by car, the weight of the tent will not affect you too much. At this time, you can choose a heavier double layer camping tents. Usually the thicker the fabric of the tent and the stronger the support poles will result in an increase in weight.
Seasonality of double canopy tents – also known as weather resistance.
The 2-season double-decker tent is suitable for summer or fall. Usually two-season tents are lighter and can maintain good ventilation performance in hot weather. Some 2-season tent fabrics are coated with silver or vinyl, which can better block UV rays.
The 4-season double wall tent will be heavier. Thick, abrasion-resistant fabrics combine with sturdy struts to withstand rain, snow and high winds. At the same time, the price is relatively expensive.
Ventilation Performance – We should maintain the ventilation of the double wall tent at all times. No one wants to feel suffocated in a hot tent, we need to feel the natural breath outside. Cool in summer and less condensation in winter. The windows, doors and various concealed design vents of the double-layer tent are crucial.
Other functions – Now people are no longer satisfied with the simple shelter function of camping double canopy tents. Versatile and ergonomic design can enhance our camping experience. Such as: the extra front room can prevent the rain from splashing, and everyone can get an extra leisure space.
Price – yes. Don’t forget the budget you plan to spend on a double decker tent. Choose a tent that can meet the journey within your wallet’s acceptable range. Campmors double-layer tents include high-end light luxury cotton tents, as well as portable pop-up double-layer tents with great value. They are absolutely great value for money and there is something for everyone.
There are still many points to pay attention to when choosing a tent that suits you, such as: tent connecting pole structure, material selection of double-layer tent, method of connecting fabric to pole and other factors. These are just a few of the important factors we recommend, and we hope they will help you in your choice. I wish you a wonderful camping life.
How to pitch a double layer tent?
Before setting up a double-layer waterproof tent, you need to choose a safe and suitable ground. This keeps us safe. You can refer to our blog for the site selection knowledge before setting up the tent.
Before setting up a double lined tent. You need to know what the support structure of your double layer tent looks like.
- The double-wall tent with automatic pop-up structurecan be opened easily. Its automatic hydraulic telescopic structure reduces a lot of hassle. We only need to open the tent, cover the top cloth and fix it with wind ropes and ground nails.
- A double deck tent with a free-standing structure requires you to assemble the tent structure poles. And through the pole sleeves to secure the tent fabric. All that’s left is to install the rain rope and ground pegs to strengthen the tent. When building a stand-alone double-decker tent, it takes more time to assemble, disassemble and fold the poles.
Note that some double-layer tents have the outer fabric attached to the surface after your tent is unfolded. However, some double walled tent outer layers require your tent to be secured in place before it can be deployed. It is advisable to set up the rain ropes when setting up the tent and avoid getting out of a warm bed to set them up on a stormy night. Rain ropes can enhance the tension and stability of the tent fabric.
Steps to set up tents can be found on our light luxury tents and double tent pages, those pages have related steps. Of course, the specific double-layer tent construction steps are detailed on the landing page of the product.
How to keep a double decker tent cool?
I know some people are concerned about the breathability of a double walled tents. I can tell you clearly, don’t worry!
Usually there will be some gaps between the inner and outer tents of double-layer tents. This will improve air flow inside the tent. Open the doors and windows as much as possible when the weather permits, to ensure the air circulation inside and outside the tent and make the temperature inside and outside the tent as consistent as possible. Thereby, the effect of reducing condensation is achieved.
At the same time, the vast majority of double deck tents outer fabrics can be removed when you need them. For example, in summer without rain, you can remove the outer layer. Enjoy greater ventilation and views through the large panoramic windows.
Don’t worry if the weather is bad, many of Campmors’ double-layer tents feature hidden vents and flaps. It helps you achieve a certain ventilation function while blocking rain in rainy and snowy weather. Some double tent tents have outer tent flaps that extend outward to create a protected vestibule, which allows you to zip up for ventilation without being affected by the environment.
How to clean and store double-wall tents?
The storage of the double wall tent is not difficult. The structural pole of a double canopy tent is similar to that of an ordinary tent, except that it has an extra layer of fabric. When storing, it only needs to be disassembled in steps according to the structural design of the tent. The specific dismantling steps are different according to the different tent structures, please operate according to the product structure design.
After the double decker tent is disassembled, it needs to be cleaned before being put into the cabinet. In order to improve the service life of the double-layer tent. You can learn detailed tent cleaning steps and storage considerations on our Oxford cloth tents and polyester tents page.
7 Key Steps To Building A Tent. And Advice On Best Maintenance.
After our “Tips before pitching a tent” guide, I believe you should have done your
Top 10 Essential Considerations and Preparations Before Wild Camping￼
Free yourself from the hustle and bustle of the city. To enjoy the time that
How to choose the best site for camping in the wild to set up tents?
After a day of playing outdoors or hiking, having a comfortable and safe campsite ready